Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Intern Adventure 15: 13th Week

I worked for 6 days this week and almost ten hours each day because we were so busy at the office. I worked at the reception area for the most of the week so I was able to talk to a lot of our clients and I really had so much fun! It always makes me feel good when I know that I was able to help someone by answering their questions about their accounting and tax problems. I really have the most supportive and encouraging colleagues at work and they are all helping me to excel in my job.

On my last journal, I mentioned that I don't think I will be given the chance to do tax returns. I was wrong - I actually learned it and was able to make ten tax returns this week. I can't just do it for the most part of the week because lots of people were coming in to have their tax returns done we do not have a full time receptionist so I have to help the reception area. Working at the reception area was so fun especially when the clients were so happy that they will be getting some money back from the government and their reactions were funny. There were also some times when some clients were not really pleased when they would know that they owe money instead of having a tax refund. Being a receptionist also taught me a lot of things and it made me feel more comfortable facing and talking to clients. Even interviewing them - which was something that I really didn't want to do before - is now one of my most favourite part of my job.

One thing that I am just nervous about is the upcoming deadline to file for individual income tax returns. There were still a lot of tax returns that are not done yet and they supposed to be done already. Due to the lack of employees that are really knowledgeable about taxes, we always receive complaints from clients for not having their tax returns done on time. As students, we can only do limited things and we weren't really able to get enough training for doing tax returns, but we are doing our best. Working with Brendan, Adam and Serena made things easier for me, for all of us in the office. When I talked to Loretta this week, she told me that when she first heard that there would be four coop student who would work in the firm, she did not really like it. But now that we became really close with each other, she now does not want us to leave in August. I am really glad that I am working in a firm that values its employees. We might be experiencing stress with our jobs, but knowing that we are all working together to reach the common goal of getting everything done by the tax deadline makes things a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment